Spray Tan Tips
Most of us have probably had a rough experience with spray tans. Just last year, I was in a wedding and got my tan done (so I wouldn't be the same color as my dress) and it ended up being streaky and uneven! To make things worse, I started peeling shortly after the wedding from a previous sunburn and ended up looking tie dyed!!! So today I'm going to do my best to save you from my fate and help you get the best spray tan possible!! Let's dive into some tips.
- Exfoliate from head to toe preferably the day prior to a spray tan, paying particular attention to areas such as your knees, elbows and ankles.
- Moisturize after exfoliation the day prior to a spray tan.
- Do NOT moisturize or wear deodorant or perfumes the day of your spray tan as they will interfere with the absorption of your tan.
- Try to avoid activities that will cause excessive perspiring for 12 hours after a spray tan, even if you are able to wash your tan off after a couple of hours.
- Schedule your tan for at least 1 day prior to your event so that you can fix it in case anything goes wrong.
- Keep your skin as moisturized as possible after your spray tan to increase the longevity of the tan and help you to avoid the tan wearing off in patches due to dry skin. Using a tan extender can help to both moisturize and keep you looking tan longer!
- Where possible, always shave or wax at least 24 hours prior to a spray tan appointment, as hair removal after a spray tan will remove the tan.
- Apply petroleum jelly to your cuticles and nail beds to ward off excess color buildup in those areas.
- Wear dark, loose-fitting clothes after your appointment and avoid underwired bras.
- Talk with your spray tanner about which color would be best for you and don't freak out when you look way darker initially after your tan, that is just the bronzer and it will wash off in the shower!
I hope some of these tips will help you lovely ladies before your next event! And don't be like me and forget to exfoliate and moisturize the day prior!!!!